Sunday 22 May 2016

Cross Dogs

Now I'm definitely not a dog snob.  I don't care what breed, combination of breeds, size or colour a pooch is, the only thing that matters is whether or not I like them, and I like to keep my criteria for that a closely guarded secret.  It keeps me interesting!

Anyway, there have been a couple of programmes on the TV about people choosing the right sort of puppy for their family which were quite informative.  Once we got passed 'Her Indoors' frankly ridiculous cooing over all the puppies, there was some sound advice on the programme, that looked not only at the breed, but also the temperament of the individual dogs.  We watched one family dither between a Labrador or a Golden Retriever, both popular breeds for good reasons, and whether to buy a puppy, a young dog, or an older one.  Then there was a family who wanted a small dog and ended up with a Cavapoo, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel crossed with a Poodle.

Poodle crosses are very popular.  In fact my dog-in-law Midge is a Cockerpoo which always seems a rather unfortunate title for a nice dog.  She's very well-behaved and has recently qualified as a 'Pets as Therapy' dog.  'Her Indoors' reckons I'm a 'Have a Pet, Need Therapy' dog, which I suspect isn't quite the same thing..... Apparently Poodles are very intelligent and trainable dogs, with fur that doesn't fall out, which is why they are popular as crosses with other breeds.  I wonder how you can tell which characteristics will come through most though - I suspect it's a bit 'trial and error'.  Anyway, I met a rather unusual Poodle cross a few days ago.  It was an Italian Greyhound cross and it was a very dainty looking dog.  I liked it anyway.

I bet there are Borderpoos out there too.  I wonder what they're like and if they're biddable, 'good dogs' or like me, rabbit chasing and self-opinionated.  I bet they've got quite a hair-do anyway!  Perhaps I'll meet one on the playing fields one day, and then I can make my own mind up!

I was a puppy once too....ahhh...hooooow...cuuuuute!
My dog-in-law, Midge, a Cockerpoo

1 comment:

  1. Give me a border terrier every time !!!! Janice & Rolo xx

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.