Sunday 23 April 2017

Election Reaction

As regular readers of my blog will know, I'm not really a political animal, after all, us dogs are not allowed to vote so why should we care? However, after a period of intense political activity: the Scottish referendum, the General Election, Brexit, the American elections, further debate about another Scottish referendum and yet more Brexit, the announcement of another General Election was met with howls of despair by the majority of sane people in this country. I suspect Brenda from Bristol, who appeared on the BBC news, spoke for many folk:

"Oh you're joking! Not another one! Oh for God's sake, I can't stand this. There's too much politics going on at the moment. Why does she need to do it?"

If you didn't see it, here's the link! Brenda from Bristol!

My view is that us dogs have an important role to play in keeping the nation sane at this critical time. 'Him Indoors' has done too much shouting at the radio already and it disturbs my sleep of a morning, whilst I'm waiting for my breakfast. So we need to set an example and I would like to make the following suggestions:
  • Be completely impartial, snooze through all the speeches regardless
  • If it looks like your family are getting over-wrought, distract them. Try barking at nothing, snoring very loudly, singing with impressive volume and vigour heedless of key, roll on your back and wave your legs in the air, and if all else fails, start retching.
  • Have some fun. A friend of 'Her Indoors', Danielle, who has a strong sense of mischief, waits until her husband is at work and then decks the house and car with stickers and poster from the opposite party to the one he favours. He then comes home to find the wrong allegiance has been broadcast to the world for the day. Apparently, over the years, he has got used to it.
  • Join the 'dogs at polling stations' campaign. This isn't difficult for me as our polling station is at the village hall which is next to the playing fields where I walk every morning. 'Her Indoors' hasn't been asked recently who she has voted for when she casts her vote, but if anyone does she's going to say she voted for me.
Which leads me to my last point, whatever happens nothing much will change. The sun will still rise, taxes will still be collected, the NHS and education will still not have enough money and everyone will continue to moan about the weather. As long as there are still dog biscuits to eat and rabbits to chase, I'll be happy. I'm barking anyway and I suggest people try and aim for the same happy disposition. It's the only way to get through it.


1 comment:

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.