Friday 23 November 2018

Birthday Boy!

Well I've made it to another birthday, which at my age is no mean feat! Sweet sixteen and infrequently kissed. 'Junior Her' regularly risks it when she's around, but 'Her Indoors' always mutters darkly that she knows where I've been, and if 'Him Indoors' was to kiss me, I think we'd book him into a home for the bewildered!
          Still, it's been quite a year. Who would have guessed that I'd acquire my very own apprentice? I have to say that if I'd known how useful he would be I might well have done it years ago. I've got someone to take 'Her Indoors' out for walks twice a day, assist me in guarding duties by hearing the door bell when I can't, another pair of appealing eyes to deploy tactically if there's any food around, and a chunky bodyguard if there's ever a spot of bother with the neighbourhood furs. Now Teds isn't a naturally naughty dog; he's a people pleaser at heart, what can I tell you. He's also not as bright as me. 'Her Indoors' has been trying to train him to shake a paw in return for a treat. I was taught this by 'Junior Her' years ago, and once I'd understood that I'd get a treat very quickly if I obliged, I was shaking paws before I'd even been asked to. Teds on the other paw, is still trying to work it out. 'Her Indoors' gives the command 'Paw' and gently taps his leg, and Teds, to give him credit, watches carefully with his head tilted in a winsome way, eager to please. But he just can't put two and two together yet. Still, I've got enough brains for the both of us, and he's a very loyal fur, so I'm not complaining.
          The other significant event of the last year has been the acquisition of my buggy. A bit like my apprentice, if I'd known how useful it was going to be I'd have got one years ago. When my arthritis is playing up and walking is a bit painful, I can sit in my buggy and watch the world go by with Teds as my outrider. It also has the considerable advantage of elevating me to pocket level, so I can do direct treat accessing. I've become quite the village celebrity and the local children love me which is always pleasing. I have a soft spot for juniors as my job description has always been 'family pet'.
         As the average life expectancy for Border Terriers is 13-15 years, I appreciate I'm in the danger zone and I'd like to pay tribute to all those who have been less fortunate, through illness or accident. I'd like to make a special mention of my sisfur Millie who I discovered last birthday but, unfortunately, never got to meet. I'll see you on the other side.
         In the meantime, I'll continue to live life to the full. If anyone makes the mistake of thinking I'm some doddery old fur who doesn't know his nose from his waggy end, I'll set them right. I might be senior, but I'm still the lovable rogue I've always been and I know how to make my own fun. I've also got  dog beer for my birthday so, in the immortal words of 'Him Indoors', cheers!

My new birthday Equafleece

Birthday beer

My birthday bimble with outrider!

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.