Sunday 12 May 2013

Other Animals

One of the advantages of living in the countryside is the variety of other animals that share your space.  These are roughly divided into two kinds: those you're allowed to bark at and those you're not.  In the former category are squirrels; large birds, particularly pigeons on the veg plot; crows; and, encouraged by 'Her Indoors', rabbits.  In the latter category are sheep, horses, cows, deer and alpacas.  The sheep are tempting because they stare at you in that insolent way and scatter very satisfyingly, but particularly at this time of year, when they've got lambs, barking at them is a definite 'no' from 'Her Indoors'.  'Her' and 'Junior Her' go all gooey over the lambs, especially this year when they've appeared in little plastic raincoats due to the inclement weather.  I don't understand it myself.  If they want cute, fluffy little things in coats, they've got me. 

Cows are a waste of time.  They don't seem bothered by my barking and just stand there, gazing through the fence, emitting methane.

Alpacas, on the other hand are pretty amazing.  They've got long necks so they can crane over the hedges and big eyes and ears.  They come in a range of different colours and have impressive eyebrows and splodges in various shades, making their faces distinctive.  The are also rather inquisitive and like to know what's going on in the lane beyond their field. Anyway, when I first met one up close I couldn't quite believe my eyes - I even forgot to bark which is worrying for a terrier.  I literally had to be dragged away which led to a lot of good natured teasing from 'Them Indoors' about me wanting one for a pet.  Actually, that's not a bad idea.  It would be one in the eye for Midge the farm dog; he's only got sheep.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.