Monday 3 August 2015

Food for thought

Eating is one of my favourite hobbies and food, particularly the sourcing of it, is a constant preoccupation.  I used to think that all Border Terriers were similarly disposed until I started tweeting and realised that there are a small minority who are fussy eaters and need cajoling, which is totally incomprehensible to me.  I pride myself on eating anything, even if it's not edible, which occasionally gets me into trouble but which generally means that I don't miss out.  My favourite inedibles are small stones.  I chew them nosily, crunching them against my teeth, then, just as I've got 'Her Indoors' worked up into a suitable frenzy ("drop it Rolo, drop......!") I swallow them!  I've been doing it for years, without ill-effect, but 'Her Indoors' doesn't like it and suspects it's attention seeking behaviour - as if she understands my motives!

My main meal of the day is some dog meat and a couple of handfuls of dry mixer.  A few years ago, 'Her Indoors' was persuaded by the vet to put me on a 'senior' dog food but that didn't work.  I was hungry all the time so ate everything I could find which gave me stomach upsets.  The we discovered 'Lily's Kitchen'.  Without wishing to sound like an advert, it really is a cut above the usual stuff.  Even 'Him Indoors' was impressed.  I found out the reason why it's so good recently: their prime tester is a Border Terrier called Lily!  Obvious when you think about it.

Anyway, I still like to source my own snacks, and oddly enough, 'Him Indoors' is my best ally in this department.  He can't resist my 'hungry eyes', a variation on the expression that won me a rosette a week ago.  I get carrots from the chopping board, crumbs of cheese, the last dribble of beer from the beer bottle, and yesterday, a substantial chunk of a cereal bar he was eating for elevenses.  Unfortunately, 'Her Indoors' saw us and I think I might have overplayed my hand.  She pointed out to 'Him Indoors' that my waist was fast disappearing and that it was getting increasingly difficult to feel my ribs.  In response to 'Him Indoors' spirited defence of 'middle-aged spread', she pointed out that carrying extra weight isn't good for my arthritis, so I have a sneaking suspicion that I might have been put on a diet without my consent.  Charming! We all need an insulating layer particularly as the year is fast advancing and autumn is but a month away.  Forward planning I call it but 'Her Indoors' has a different name......... 

Best 'hungry eyes' - delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.