Thursday 17 September 2015

Taking care...

'Her Indoors' always feels a bit anxious about leaving me in the care of others.  She knows that I'm a little idiosyncratic and appreciates that not everyone has her highly developed sixth sense that anticipates what I'm about to do before I've even thought it myself.  Plus, as I've got older, she feels a bit protective of me, which is rather touching...

Then there is the 'dog walker phenomenon'. 'Them Indoors' both work flexibly and sometimes from home, so my needs are usually very well catered for, but occasionally, they are both out.  In those circumstances, they pay for a professional dog walker to come and let me out, or they try to...Over the years there have been three.  On each occasion, things have started out very promisingly with favourable reports, then they've eventually become mysteriously unavailable or have just stopped answering texts.  Is it that they are too busy with regular customers to bother with an occasional client or have I blotted my copy book in some way and they're not telling?  Family friends that have fulfilled this function, swear that I'm always good, so  'Her Indoors' is left wondering..I can't tell her of  course - a talking dog, don't be ridiculous! After all, they only let me out in the garden for heaven's sake, so what could possibly go wrong....


And then there's holidays.  I used to stay in kennels but I've recently started staying with Ros at Cozy Pet Lodge and I have to say she was very understanding on my previous visit about me hoovering up her dogs' balls and pinching the marmite on toast.  I was there last week, whilst 'Them Indoors' took a short break in the West Country and she texted 'Her Indoors' to say I was being good.  'Her Indoors' was naturally suspicious of such a favourable report, so when she went to collect me she probed further.  Ros seemed amused by my attempts to break into her fridge, finally thwarted by propping an ironing board against the door.  There's no way I would do that at home.  'Her Indoors' would turn me into a hearth rug and anyway, our freezer is at the bottom and I can't reach the fridge part, not that I've tried of course...Also, Ros, mentioned my laudable interest in the recycling.  She was surprised at how high a small, elderly dog can jump, and after finding me head first in the bins, with just my butt sticking out, she had to weigh the lids down.  Apart from that, I was no trouble at all.  I suspect the moment of truth will come the next time 'Her Indoors' tries to book me in for another stay.  I'm sure it'll be okay.  Ros is a nice lady who had sixteen puppies from her own dogs this summer.  After that, I doubt much will faze her, even a free thinking Border Terrorist.

Anyway, 'Her Indoors' always misses me when she's away and her holiday photos reflect this.  I think they may have been taking the mickey with the scarecrow photo though although I can't think why they would want to do this...After all, I'm a good dog at heart!

'Her Indoors' starts seeing dogs everywhere....
 
Let's try this at home.  I'll model, you find the sheers...
 
Taking the mickey perhaps......


2 comments:

  1. I applaud your commendable efforts to amuse yourself Mr Rolo....Clapton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ros has just accepted a holiday booking for next year - nice lady!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.