Wednesday 13 February 2019

The Last Post

One of the good things about knowing that you are going over the rainbow bridge is that you get the chance to make your final preparations. I've had a last blog on standby for a while. The average life span of a Border Terrier is 13-15 years and I was 16 last November so I've been on borrowed time for a bit. Anyway, I wanted the last word of course, and I certainly don't want 'Her Indoors' turning me into Saint Rolo, that would never do.
          As it happens, the finale has come slightly swifter than planned, but I couldn't really see the point in hanging around once the loose ends were tidied up. I'd like to have said a final goodbye to 'Junior Her' who was due back at the weekend, but, as it is, I think it's probably better for her to remember me as I was, when we last met at Christmas.
          So I'd like to send a few heart-felt thank yous. I'd like to thank all my friends for their company on the interesting journey that is a dog's life. I've enjoyed Tweet-ups and Border walks, radio broadcasts and book signings, I have done pretty much everything a small dog can do, and I've done it in great company, thank you.
          I'd like to thank every person who's ever read my tweets, my blog, my magazine column or my books - ideally all of them. Your support for a little brown dog with a lot to say for himself has been pawsome, thank you, and if you haven't bought my books, you know what to do....I'm just saying!
          I'd like to thank my wider staff: Shirley and Paul, my lovely holiday carers, Danielle, as a fellow partner in mischief, Fairfield House Vets in Uckfield, particularly Kirsty, George and the ladies on reception, and finally, Jeff at Peaceways Pet Crematorium, a fellow Border Terrier owner, for looking after 'Them Indoors' at their moment of need.

          And I'd like to thank my family, 'Them Indoors'. 'Junior Him' and 'Junior Her' ganged up on their parents to plot my acquisition in the first place, and I've enjoyed lively games and manly chats with 'Junior Him' and a fierce, unswerving loyalty from 'Junior Her' - what can I tell you, she has my heart. I'd like to thank 'Him Indoors' for caving in and allowing me into the family. He isn't a natural dog-lover and I like to think I've been one of the naughtiest dogs ever, so it's been an interesting relationship, but he's stuck with me through thick and thin and been there with me to the end, so thank you. I'd also like to thank 'Her Indoors' for loving me, come what may, and for doing all those unpopular bits of dog ownership that someone has to do: picking up poop, walking in the rain, cleaning floors and bedding, apologising to people and taking me to the Vets. She's worked as hard as she possibly can to give me the best quality of life right up to the end, so thank you, from the heart of my bottom!
          I leave my magazine column, my blog and my half finished next book, 'A Dog with Two Tails' to my apprentice, Teddy. It's been great to have some company in my final year and he's taken instruction very well. I feel I've left my family in safe paws. I also leave him my fluorescent coat and hand-knitted jumpers which I'm sure he will be thrilled about...oh and he can have my toys too!
          So, this takes me to the difficult bit, my final goodbye, when I turn to the bridge and leave you all behind me, in the land of the living. My final message is this: be kind to each other, love each other, be naughty given half a chance and for Dog's sake, live life to the absolute maximum for however long you are given.

Until we meet again.

Rolo the Border Terrier,
23rd November 2002 - 13th of February 2019
Me and the apprentice
Rolo the author!
Rolo the broadcaster to the nation...well some of it!

On a Tweet-up
Chasing bunnies, my life's work....
Dabbling in local politics
Ahhhhh, soooo cuuute!
My first meeting with 'Junior Her'

Who? Us? As if...!



I just found this box, lying around!
Young, gorgeous and brim-full of mischief!


         




5 comments:

  1. Safe travels little mate, peace to those that love you.

    NukNuk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Rolo. This just breaks my heart. I absolutely know "Them Indoors" will be lost without you. Thank goodness you have trained them so well. We will miss you so much and I know that I, for one, will certainly take your final message to heart. Walk on, little one, walk on. -Paula J., Carson, Marley, Paisley, and all our loved ones at the Bridge

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wondered why you referred to your own children as passive objects in your twee story? Junior 'her'and all that dim stuff. They are people. We all are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also. most successful writers,nay poets,at least mention - in passing - the influence of their partner. Unless of course their nameless children were conceived immaculately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the your loss. Rolo is such an adorable. I can somehow feel the grief as my dog passed away just recently. I had his body at pet cremation houston tx. We just have to be strong and glad that it happened.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.