Sunday 1 September 2013

Season of Mists and Mellow Windfalls

It's officially autumn and I must admit it's one of my favourite seasons.  September's usually still a good month for sunshine and there's the added bonus of extra edibles in the garden.  Since they've fenced the veg plot in, purportedly to keep the rabbits out, my opportunities for self-service have been a bit limited.  To make matters worse, one of the apple trees in the garden died over the winter and the others were looking a bit elderly and ropey so 'Him Indoors' removed them too.  I'd better watch my step on that score.....Anyway, they've replaced them with new ones but they haven't got any apples on this year.  It's a pity because I always enjoy a few windfalls.  'Her Indoors' doesn't like me eating them though, as it gives me a bit of a fermentation problem, so it's usually a race to see  if she can pick them all up before I've eaten one.  Still, there's always the Damsons.  Nice and juicy with a certain piquant crunch in the centre.  And there's blackberries.  'Junior Her' taught me the fine art of 'pick your own' and it's something I've perfected over the years.  'Her Indoors' won't take the ones at the bottom of the bush as she thinks dogs might have piddled on them, so it's not as if I'm eating anything she wants.  They turn your poohs purple though.  Ah, the joys of autumn, it's enough to make me come over all poetical.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.