Saturday 19 October 2013

Pulling the Wool...

I'm not one to criticise human kind, after all, some of my nearest and dearest tend towards a human disposition, but they can be quite easily deceived at times.  Take the other day for example.  Now 'Her Indoors' has done her best, but it would be fair to say that I'm not the most reliably obedient dog in the world.  I tend to see commands as providing a framework within which to manoeuvre, with any decision about whether or not to oblige, being influenced by that universally pertinent question, 'What's in it for me?'

 'Her Indoors' tries to get me to sit at the edge of the pavement and wait for her command before moving off to cross the road, which is all very sensible and worthy.  However, if the pavement is wet, cold, or I'm not in the mood, it can take several attempts before I conform, and some mornings we have quite a long argument about it at the road side.  Anyway, back to the other day.  I was in a good mood because it was sunny, I'd had a nice walk, and there was a child waiting at the crossing.  So when 'Her Indoors' asked me to sit, I did so smartly, to attention, with my ears pricked.  I waited for the command before setting off and walked briskly at her heel.  Once we'd crossed over, the child's mother congratulated 'Her Indoors' on my good behaviour, something about how nice it was to see such a well-trained dog.  'Her Indoors' almost ruined it with her hollow laugh and muttering, but I basked in the glow of being a good dog and I suspect 'Her Indoors' was a little bit pleased too.  She needs to make the most of it as I'm sure she realises.........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.